- Corporate body
Purchased by Cheetham Salt Company c.1920s
Purchased by Cheetham Salt Company c.1920s
The Australian Women’s National League aimed to promote anti-socialist ideas to Australian women who had been given the right to vote in Australian federal elections in 1902.
Their tenets were loyalty to the throne, counteracting socialist tendencies, educating women in their political responsibilities and safeguarding the interests of the home, women and children.
Lady Janet Clarke was elected the inaugural president in 1904.
In 1912, the Liberal Prime Minister Alfred Deakin described the lobby group as "fierce and unceasing" in their political demands.
At its peak in World War 1, the AWNL had 500 registered branches and more than 54,000 members across Australia including a Geelong branch.
Avalon Airfield also known as ‘Avalon Airport’ has played a key role in Australia’s Aviation and space flight industry.
In 1952, the Commonwealth Government purchased 4,333 acres of land in Lara, close to Geelong, for testing and construction of aircrafts. The Canberra Jet Bomber Aircraft being the first flight to be tested at Avalon Airfield in June 1953.
Other test flights and flights making the newspapers at the time include:
In July 1954, Australia’s first production-line Sabre jetfighter.
In September 1956, Britain's Vulcan jet bomber makes a new record, flying from England to Avalon Airfield after only 22 hours flying. Being the first aircraft to fly non-stop from Singapore to Melbourne.
In 1963, the first Australian assembled Mirage.
In July 1971, Australian Government Aircraft Factory's Project N.
Unfortunately, in August 1976, another prototype N24 Nomad crashed at Avalon killing Stuart Pearce (father of actor Guy Pearce) and designer David Hooper. The stated cause of the accident was "flutter from experimental control tabs".
In July 1990, Aerospace Technologies of Australia (ASTA) purchased a 99 year lease over the Avalon Airfield for airline training, education services and aircraft production and maintenance operations.
In early 1997, Linfox purchased Avalon Airport from the Commonwealth and greatly upgraded the infrastructure and facilities in preparation for commercial passenger airline use.
On 1 June 2004, the first domestic flight with Jetstar occurred at Avalon offering limited routes at first.
In 2010, Tigerair commenced operations, but were unsuccessful and short-lived.
In 2018, Avalon Airport commenced international flights. With government funding assistance, Air Asia X moved their twice daily Kuala Lumpur services from Tullamarine to Avalon. This move connected the Victorian region to more than 130 places throughout Asia.
Today Avalon Airport:
Is both a commercial passenger airport and a General Aviation airport.
Continues to host the Australian International Airshow every 2nd year.
Currently offers Jetstar flights for Sydney, Adelaide and the Gold Coast, AirAsia flights for Kuala Lumpur and Citilink flights for Bali.
Back to Back Theatre is a pioneering contemporary theatre company based in Geelong with a full-time ensemble of eight actors considered to have an intellectual disability.
They are one of Australia's most successful theatre companies. Their 2011 hit 'Ganesh Versus the Third Reich', has toured in 35 cities and 18 countries - taking Geelong based actors around the world.
The District was created on 31 October 1862. It was proclaimed a Shire on 30 June 1864. Bannockburn Shire and the Meredith Shire united on 15 September 1915. Part of the Steiglitz Riding was severed and annexed to Lara Riding of the Corio Shire on 31 May 1916. Local Government Reform 1993-1995 The Fyansford area was annexed to the City of Greater Geelong on 18 May 1993.
The Bannockburn Yellow Gum Action Group (BYGAG) was a community group founded in 1997 to protect local woodland that contained many Yellow Gum. At the time, Barwon Water planned to bulldoze the woodland for a sewerage farm.
After a long community campaign including protests and a blockade, ultimately the group was unsuccessful in protecting the trees. The trees were cut down on 19 August 1997.
Barrabool was created a District on 28 December 1853. It was proclaimed a Shire on 13 June 1865. Barrabool was redefined by a portion of Winchelsea Shire being annexed on 31 May 1927. Local Government Reform 1993-1995 The Shire was abolished by being amalgamated with Winchelsea Shire and severances from Greater Geelong and Colac Shire on 9 May 1994. This happened as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78.
The Central Planning Authority, chaired by the Minister of State Development and Decentralisation was established in 1946 to coordinate regional committees which were to investigate and survey regional resources, advise on potential development of resources and advise on outstanding problems. Eleven of these Committees were established between 1947 and 1949 each consisting of six elected municipal representatives from the region and six representatives appointed by the Government from Commerce, Industry, the Public Service and local authorities. Regional boundaries had been determined by the report of the State Regional Boundaries Committee 1944. Functions of each regional committee were to make surveys and investigations into regional resources advise on the potential development of resources provide a common ground for discussion between local administrators and interested parties on the problems and methods of coordinating public services advise on outstanding problems which required attention from executive authorities. These Committees were discontinued after the establishment of a separate Department for State Development and the formation of Regional Planning Authorities.
Bellaire School was built on the recommendation of the District Inspector of Schools K. McIntyre and was situated in the rapidly developing Belmont-Highton area. The school was opened on 5th of February 1963 with pupils drawn mainly from Roslyn and Highton Schools. Bellaire grew to a particularly well established educational centre which officially opened on 20th November 1965. In September 1967 it was proclaimed a Training School and raised to the status of Special Class in 1969.
Bellarine was created a District on 12 December 1853. It was proclaimed a Shire on 26 September 1865. Bellarine was proclaimed a Rural City on 12 December 1989. Local Government Reform 1993-1995 The Shire was abolished in 1993 as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78. The City Of Greater Geelong (VA 3149) has been appointed as the successor in law of the Rural City of Bellarine and has assumed its rights, assets and liabilities.
Once known as Jan Juc, the school opened on 12 August 1861. Jan Juc began as a National School. Later it became a vested Common School under the Board of Education and received the number 319 in 1863. In 1873 the Department acquired the school.