Showing 817 results

People and Organisations


  • Family
  • 1892 - 1982

Stephen Thomas Woodward (1858-1935) and Florence Elizabeth Woodward (1861 - 1946 nee Hopton) were married in Geelong in 1885 and had three children: Florence Agnes Woodward (1886 - 1946 married Wilmot), Violet Louise Woodward (1887 - 1951 married Portch) and Hubert Stephen Hopton Woodward (1892 - 1982).

Stephen Thomas Woodward was a coach builder in Corio Street, Geelong. His son Hubert Stephen Hopton Woodward attended Flinders State School and studied engineering at Geelong Gordon College from 1908-1911. After graduating, he worked at R.W Hill Engineer’s in South Geelong. In 1916, Hubert Woodward travelled to England and worked in an ammunitions factory in Sheffield during the First World War. He married Kate Buttery (1891-1974) and returned to Geelong to work in the engineering firm, Humble & Sons Vulcan Foundry in Little Malop Street.

Winchelsea Shire Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1860 - 1994

Winchelsea was created a District on 9 November 1860. It was proclaimed a Shire on 27 May 1864. It was redefined on 7 November 1890. It was re-subdivided into four ridings on 26 February 1889. It was part severed and constituted as part of Otway Shire on 6 May 1919. It was redefined by a part being severed and annexed to Barrabool Shire on 31 May 1927. Riding boundaries were redefined in July 1959. A part was severed and annexed to Otway Shire on 1 October 1963. It was enlarged and redefined by annexation of an area of land from the Shire of Barrabool on 1 April 1989. It was re-subdivided into three ridings on 1 April 1989. Local Government Reform 1993-1995 Winchelsea Shire amalgamated with Barrabool Shire and severances from the City of Greater Geelong and Colac Shire to create Surf Coast Shire on 9 March 1994. This occurred as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78.


  • Family



  • Family

Weatherboard Station

  • Corporate body
  • c.1830s - ?

From the late 1830's the weatherboard station pastoral run, which was owned by the Derwent Company, was located on both sides of the Barwon river near Inverleigh.

In 1854 it was subdivided into Weatherboard No.1 on the north side of the river and Weatherboard No.2 on the south side. Weatherboard No.1 became the property in 1856 of William Berthon. He kept journals of his time on the property from 1864 until 1875, which are now part of the Geelong Heritage Centre collection.

The original Weatherboard property was a prefabricated iron house imported from England in the 1850s, manufactured by John Walker of Millwall, Poplar in London. These prefabricated houses have both architectural and historical significance.

Warrenbeen Station

  • Corporate body
  • c.1840s - current

Warrenbeen Station was part of the early wool industry in the Geelong region, situated on the Shelford Rokewood Road, running merino sheep across 40,000 acres.

The station was part of the land leases of crown land in the early 1800s with a succession of lease holders.

Major WD Mercer held the property from 1842-1846. It was then leased and owned by Major John Bell, resident of Bell Park, Geelong. It was noted in Major Bell's obituary on 29 Jan 1876 that he had owned Warrenbeen station.

The station was later known by the names Warrambine and Warrambeen and is currently in existence as Warrambeen Estate.


  • Family
  • 1869 - 1999

William Walton (b.1869? – d.1945) and Elizabeth Isabella Walton (nee Cole b.1872? – d.1946) were married in 1892 and had five children: Thomas Isaac Walton (1893 – 1976), William John Walton (1894 – 1976), James Leslie Walton (1897 – 1920), Florence Elizabeth Walton (1900 - ?) and Eileen Jean Emond (nee Walton 1902 - 1999?) William John Walton served in the First World War. William Walton senior’s occupation was a bootmaker and resided at William Street, Newtown and Hope Street, Geelong West.

Volum, William (Bill) Gordon

  • Person
  • 1936-10-18 - 2000-10-07

Bill Volum's lifelong interest in shipping stemmed from his early days at Geelong Grammar when his sailing master Mr. John Brazier encouraged him to not only identify the shipping line a ship belonged to, but to find out and memorise the ship’s vital statistics. Bill became renowned for being able to recall, from memory, details of most ships he saw when in harbour. Over the years, Bill took a number of overseas trips and thus established contacts with many like-minded shipping enthusiasts around the world. He was recognised by his peers as an authority on shipping matters. He eventually collected an extensive reference library of over 1,700 books on all types of shipping, from 19th century sailing vessels to naval ships, cargo vessels, tugboats and modern passenger liners, and the shipping companies which operated them. In addition, he gathered some 16,000 photographs of ships from many countries. These were meticulously mounted and labelled with information as to name, year of construction, where built, tonnage, owners/managers, later names, incidents, etc. His entire collection of reference books and annotated photographs, together with numerous issues of shipping periodicals, was donated to the Geelong Historical Records Centre (now the Geelong Heritage Centre) by his sister and brother for public reference following Bill’s death in 2000. The W. G. Volum Collection is considered to be of national significance as one of the best collections of shipping information in Australia.


  • Family
Results 1 to 50 of 817