Series GRS0670 - BERTHON, W - Weatherboard Station - Journals

Identity area

Reference code



BERTHON, W - Weatherboard Station - Journals


  • 1864 - 1875 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(c.1830s - ?)

Administrative history

From the late 1830's the weatherboard station pastoral run, which was owned by the Derwent Company, was located on both sides of the Barwon river near Inverleigh.

In 1854 it was subdivided into Weatherboard No.1 on the north side of the river and Weatherboard No.2 on the south side. Weatherboard No.1 became the property in 1856 of William Berthon. He kept journals of his time on the property from 1864 until 1875, which are now part of the Geelong Heritage Centre collection.

The original Weatherboard property was a prefabricated iron house imported from England in the 1850s, manufactured by John Walker of Millwall, Poplar in London. These prefabricated houses have both architectural and historical significance.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Not yet assessed

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places